What will I learn in Computing?
The Computing syllabus deals mostly with software and hardware systems. You will study computing theory, software design and development, and applications. The main areas covered in Computing include:
- Digital Logic
- Computer Architecture
- Assembly Languages
- Operating Systems
- Networking and Communications
- Language Translators
- Systems Analysis and Design
- High-Level Language programming in Java
- Data Structures and Algorithms
At Advanced level, students will sit for three practical tasks which are prepared by MATSEC and guided by the school.
At Intermediate level students must design and develop a software project.
How will I benefit from studying Computing?
The course will enrich your problem-solving and programming techniques, and increase your knowledge on the internal operations of the computer system at both software and hardware level. In addition, you will also gain skills related to the breaking-down of complex problems into simpler solutions, thereby cultivating an analytical mind.
Computing will open many new job opportunities in the Software Development, Computer Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Business Intelligence, Data Analytics, and Gaming to name a few. Computing is immersed in various fields, thus offering unique and specialised opportunities which are highly rewarded.
Are there any special considerations?
- Computing cannot be taken with Information Technology at any level.
What textbooks and/or resources do I need?
- It is recommended that students will have their own laptop equipment to work on the projects and to practise the programming techniques necessary to prepare for the practical programming tasks.
- All other content material related to teaching and learning will be provided by the teachers.