Pure Mathematics is the study of mathematical concepts, techniques and procedures. The course will guide students to solve mathematical problems that may be useful for science based subjects such as computing, I.T., economics, architecture and engineering. It also enhances reasoning and problem solving skills and enables students to think logically and analytically in other academic areas as well as life situations.
Strong algebraic skills and a determination to carry out a minimum of four hours of independent study per week are required of students taking the subject at Advanced Level.
The SEC course is a one-year revision programme to help students achieve a pass mark or a better grade in Mathematics at SEC level.
Matriculation Course students are not allowed to choose both Pure Mathematics and Applied Mathematics at Intermediate level.
- First Years: Pure Mathematics 1A & 1B; ISBN:9789993286363 & ISBN:9789993286950
- Second Years: Pure Mathematics 2A & 2B; ISBN:9789990921151 & ISBN:9789995737832
- A Revision Guide To Pure Mathematics at Intermediate Level; ISBN:9789995737665
The Teaching Programme is supplemented by:
- Guest speakers from maths related faculties at the University of Malta and other institutions.
- Possibility to participate in the MYMC competition
Further Studies / Career Opportunities
- University of Malta
- Careers in education, architecture, engineering, research, commerce and statistics