Biology is the science of life and living organisms, including their structure, function, growth, evolution, and distribution. Organisms studied range from simple one-celled organisms not seen with the naked eye (micro-organisms) to large complex organisms such as human beings. It includes botany and zoology, the study of plant life and animal life respectively.
A level students attend practical sessions including two fieldwork activities (one coastal fieldwork), a nature walk and a dissection week during which students explain the structure of organs such as the heart to other students. The Biology department also organises a brief work experience for its students at the beginning of summer.
- Advanced/Intermediate Biology cannot be taken with Intermediate Environmental Science.
- For SEC level students, practical sessions are available only for beginners.
Students will be informed at the start of the course
The teaching programme is supplemented by:
- Fieldwork activities
- Site visits (for A level and O level students)
Further Studies / Career Opportunities
- University of Malta
- Institute of Tourism Studies
- Careers in field biology and agriculture, forensic science, education psychology and health care